No compromise for the identification of frozen products.
Dissatisfied with the print durability provided by another Resin ribbon on the market which nevertheless claims high levels of resistance, this Thai sausage producer finally decided to swap to the inkanto AXR 8 Resin ribbon.
A demanding environment for inks
The printed labels on sausage bags are potentially subjected to significant attack associated with the fatty nature of the product, to the heat of the product when it is packaged and to the instant freezing process which follows.
In the absence of a robust ink, any of these constraints may compromise the legibility of the identification and food traceability data.
For this Thai user, the main criteria are therefore the combination of excellent print quality on the synthetic medium currently used, resistance to scratching and extreme temperatures and the ability to function faultlessly with the Zebra printers already in situ.
A number of difficulties associated with the manufacturing and packing process run the risk of the printed information becoming erased. The producer’s requirements are as follows:
- A single ribbon to print two different labels: a synthetic label on the medical pouch and a coated paper label on the packaging.
- A printing solution able to provide abrasion resistance due to the pouches rubbing against each other on the production belt, and which guarantees perfect legibility of the box label right up to delivery.
- Good adhesion of the ink to the label without the ink becoming transferred to another pouch when they are piled up on the production belt.
- High heat resistance in a humid environment.
- Compliance with international regulations including those associated with food contact applications.
The AXR®8 solution.
The print performance of the AXR®8 in such an industrial environment and the commercial approach of the local ARMOR-IIMAK partner convinced the user to change to this product.
The AXR®8 is already widely used in the food processing sector and consequently enjoys certification in accordance with the European standard 1935/2004/EC for food contact applications, and also enables users to comply with the principles of US FDA standards.
Tests performed in real-life conditions demonstrated that the inkanto AXR®7+ Resin ink meets all of these requirements.
ARMOR-IIMAK is also able to provide support to health industry companies with their Drug Master File (DMF) submissions to the FDA.
The heat-shrink step places great demands on the printed label as the heat may soften the ink which is then smudged on contact with the plastic film, or is transferred to the film, making the consumer and/or traceability information illegible.
APX®FH+ was recommended for multiple reasons:
- It is a premium wax/resin ribbon developed for demanding applications;
- It offers durable printing that is resistant to both abrasion and heat;
- It can print all types of messages in a very precise manner: logos, text, symbols and barcodes;
- It complies with international food contact standards: 1935/2004/EC and American FDA.
The producer specifies that, thanks to this inkanto ribbon, its printed matter is highly resistant to the heat-shrink process, providing good print resolution and consistent quality.